6.28.2009

Do You Believe?

A few weeks ago I was watching Horton Hears a Who! with the girls and it really got me thinking. What if our planet was a speck floating around just like Whoville? Then it occurred to me that Earth is a speck floating around in a gigantic universe. Then I had to stop thinking because it was creeping me out, LOL.

A few days later we watched Tinkerbell and I started to think about fairies. Do they really exist? Where do they live? What do they eat? Are they afraid of humans? I had so many questions that needed answers. I came to the conclusion that if we, humans, are real and we live on this Earth, a speck floating around in an infinite universe, than there is a strong possibility that there are fairies living among us. Then I remembered a book I read to Isabela a few months ago, The Fairies of Nutfolk Wood by Barb Bentler Ullman. The book was about a family of fairies that lived in an old tree stump. The fairies in the story lived in the woods and tried to avoid humans so that answered my questions of where they lived and if they were afraid of us humans. I asked the girls what fairies ate and they said berries. That made sense to me so I went along with it.

Last week I did a Google search about fairies and learned some interesting facts. I will share 10 of them with you:

1. There are many different types of fairies. Some are wild. Some are domesticated. Some are helpful. Some are harmful.
.
2. They can turn invisible, or blend so closely into the forest as to seem invisible and they move very swiftly.

3. They eat fruit.(the girls were right!!!)

4. They are associated with certain plants, trees and places.

5. They live on hills, in woody dells, underwater, or in the Otherworld.

6. Their powers include shapeshifting and making fog.

7. They are immortal.

8. They sometimes take human lovers.

9. They can breed with humans. (bizarre!)

10. They have holidays/important dates just like humans:
March 15- Festival of river nymphs and water fairies.
April 30/May 1 - Beltane/May Day
August 7- Fairy hills and dwellings are revealed on this day.
September 29- Doors open between our world and the fairy realm.
November 8- Another day when it is possible to catch a glimpse of fairyland.
November 11- Festival of the blackthorn fairies.

I also came across this fairy house craft. I thought it was a really cute idea so I did another Google search to get more ideas.

I found this.




And this.



Which encouraged me to make this.

Photobucket

I found a bird house that was on clearance for $6 at Hobby Lobby, added 2 doll house planters, glued on a few tiny birds, painted a white picket fence, added some pink gravel left over from the fire bellied toads and put it all in a pot filled with soil and there you have it. Our fairy house. As an added touch I sprinkled some lavender, catnip and thyme seeds into the soil for some greenage. If any luck some fairies will call it home. Isabela said she already saw some moving in. I hope she is right.

No comments: