6.15.2009

The Reptile Show

Every couple of months The St. Louis Herpetologist Society holds a reptile show. Ryan and I started going to these shows 12 years ago when he bought me my 1st pet, a leopard gecko, named Norma Jean who, by the way, is still alive and kickin' it. It was also at one of these shows that I became the proud owner of my most favorite amphibian of all time, the Red Eyed Tree Frog. Every show I would buy one or two more frogs. I had many, many frogs. Some lived, some died. One day we went to a pet store and I saw a Red Eye there and bought it. Too bad for me because that frog was wild caught and carried a disease that killed off all my other frogs. I did not buy any more frogs after that.

This was the 1st year that we brought all the kids with us. They were very excited when we told them we were going to a reptile show. They thought it was going to be a movie and we had to explain to them that it is not a TV show or a movie but a place where reptile breeders from all over the country come and sell their products and animals. They were so excited that they both woke up super early that morning ready to go.

When we got there you could tell that the girls were just as excited as we were about seeing all those different species of reptiles. Along with the reptiles there were other animals like sugar gliders and hedgehogs and there were spiders(gross!) and necklaces made from petrified bugs, spiders and scorpions in colored resin.
Photobucket
Photobucket


Isabela was excited that she got to hold a snake,
Photobucket
a chameleon,
Photobucket
and a crested gecko that was really cool. Ryan said if we ever got another lizard it would be one of those. They are really calm and friendly.
Photobucket


Olivia was mad that she could not hold anything and started crying and pouting that she wanted to go home. This just was not her scene.
Photobucket

Our intentions on going to the reptile show were to buy a $10 aquarium for our fire bellied toad . Well our focus blurred when we caught sight of a man selling my beloved Red Eyed Tree Frogs.
Photobucket

One look at those frogs and my heart melted. Ryan knew it and said we could get some if I wanted. If I wanted!? Are you kidding me?! Of course I want some! So we ended up buying a terrarium already set up and 2 Red Eyes, a male and a female. We ended up spending a lot of money but we did haggle the guy down and ended the deal getting one frog free and not pay any sales tax. Here are my beauties and all their glory. Our Male is pictured above. He is the guy in the top left with his eyes open. May they live happy healthy lives.
Photobucket
Photobucket


We do plan on getting a couple more at the next show in August :)

No comments: