7.15.2009

The Garden- Week 6

The garden is still coming along slowly. I wish I had something exciting to report but sadly I don't. Ryan is building trellises this weekend so next weeks post will be about those.


After doing some research it turns out my big tomato plant is suffering from bloom drop. Apparently it is too hot and too humid for tomatoes right now. I guess I will have to wait until the end of the summer/early fall to get fresh tomatoes.

Photobucket

One of my pumpkin plants have mildew growing on the leaves. I read that it is normal and to fix that problem you have to water around the base of the plant instead of on the leaves.

Photobucket

I think bean beatles are whats eating away at my green bean plants. Still not sure since I have not actually seen any beatles on the leaves.

Photobucket

On a brighter note, my cantaloupe plant is coming along nicely. Like Olivia's fairy house?

Photobucket

It is getting buds and flowers on it.

Photobucket

My pumpkin plant is still growing madly out of control. It has taken over where my butternut squash was and a few other squares as well. It is shading one of my eggplant plants which, ironically, is actually helping it grow. I hope we get some good pumpkins off of it this year.

Photobucket

My zucchini with the cracked, dried out stem is doing great,

Photobucket

4 of my tomato plants have emerged out of their stunted states and are getting thicker stems and some are even flowering,

Photobucket

and we have strawberries growing.

Photobucket



So here is the garden on week 4( I did not take a week 5 pic).

Photobucket

and here it is on week 6.

Photobucket

Photobucket


I guess we need to work on watering the garden less and start watering around the base of the plants not directly over them. Why are gardens so fussy?

No comments: