7.28.2009

Manly Vegetarian Food.

Ryan is a champ. He eats every single crazy recipe that I serve him and he never complains no matter how girly the food is. So I decided to make him a man meal. During my jog I was running(haha) ideas through my head and came up with the idea of vegetarian "meatball" subs. I went to the store all stinky an sweaty and grabbed 2 loves of french bread, a package of Match-ground beef without the beef, some provolone cheese, and a jar of Classico marinara with plum tomatoes. Then I went home and got to work.

1st I whipped up a batch of Betsy's Balls. Betsy is an internet mommy friend of mine and everyone raves about her balls. Thanks to Match, I got to try them too and they are yummy!

Ingredients:

Photobucket

First, mix all the ingredients together, form into balls, and cook in the oven for 15 minutes.

Photobucket

Next, transferred the balls into a pan with the marinara sauce and let them simmer for another 15 minutes.

Photobucket

While the balls are simmering. Prepare you subs. Cut the french bread into the size you want your sub to be and line with the provolone cheese.

Photobucket


Put some balls and sauce into the subs, place in the oven for a few minutes to toast the bread and melt the cheese, plate them up with some homemade potato chips and serve!

Photobucket

Ryan really loved these and I could tell by the look on his face that he felt every bit like a carnivorous manly man. :)


Betsy's Balls- Vegetarian style.

1 package Match ground beef without the beef (Betsy makes hers with 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey)
½ C dry breadcrumbs
½ C finely shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
1/3 C finely chopped green onions( I never use these because I don't like them)
¼ C coarsely shredded carrot
¼ C coarsely shredded zucchini
¼ C chopped fresh parsley
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 large egg white
2 garlic cloves, crushed


1) Preheat oven to 400°
2) Combine all ingredients except cooking spray in a large bowl; stir well.
3)form mixture into balls and place on a cookie sheet coated with cooking spray.
4)Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until done.

Homemade potato chips
2 large potatoes
vegetable oil
salt
pepper

1) cut potatoes into thin slices. If you have a slicer great! but you don't need one.
2) toss them in a bowl with a generous amount of vegetable oil
3)lay the slices out on a cookie sheet in a single layer
4)sprinkle with salt and pepper.
5)bake at 400* until slices are crispy.( takes me 30 minutes or so)
6)let cool and serve

2 comments:

Kate and Crew said...

I looooooove Betsy's balls. Mmm.... they're on the menu for Thursday. I've heard they freeze well, but they never last long enough here to freeze. One day I'll make a double batch and freeze some.

I'm making my balls with a sauce made from some brown gravy + FF sour cream on no-yolk egg noodles.

Lo said...

Yum Kate!! What is FF sour cream? Full fat?