8.11.2009

Chocolate Oatmeal Cupcakes.

Back in January my mom, our friend Lesley, and I had a small going away party for my sister who was moving to Virginia. We had lots of food and I made a chocolate oatmeal cake. The cake was amazing. We all sat down around my coffee table with forks and ate almost at the entire thing. It was chocolaty, it was moist, it was rich.... everything you could ever want in a cake.

Fast forward 8 months. My mom was having a surprise personal shower for my Cousin who is eloping in couple weeks and asked me to make that cake again. I agreed but thought a cake would be too messy so we agreed that giant cupcakes would be the way to go. Well let me tell you my friends, those cupcakes were TO DIE FOR! Melt in your mouth amazingness.



Here's the recipe:

ingredients:
- 1 cup quick cooking oatmeal
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1-3/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. heavy cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine oatmeal with 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup chocolate chips. Pour boiling water over all, and let stand for 5 minutes. Then add the cocoa and mix well with a wire whisk so the chocolate and butter melt. Add 3/4 cup sugar and 1 cup brown sugar and whisk to combine. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
Add eggs and 2 tsp. vanilla and beat until combined. Then add flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix with a wire whisk until well blended. Immediately pour batter into prepared Jumbo muffin wrappers. I put the wrappers into a regular muffin tin and only filled them 1/2 way(about 1/4 c. batter) they rise a TON so DO NOT fill them all the way or even 3/4 the way or they will bake over.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.

Topping:
Combine 1/3 cup melted butter, walnuts, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, coconut, cream, and 1 tsp. vanilla in a medium bowl; mix well. When cake tests done, remove from oven and set on wire rack.
Turn oven to broil. Drop topping mixture by small spoonfuls onto cake; spread very gently to cover. Place under broiler, 4" from heat source, and broil for 2-5 minutes until topping is bubbly and light golden brown. Watch this every single second! It can burn in a blink of an eye, so keep watching! When the frosting is bubbling furiously all over and is beginning to brown in spots, remove tray from oven and sprinkle with 1 cup chocolate chips. Let stand for 10 minutes, then carefully swirl the chocolate chips into the frosting with the tip of a knife. Serve warm or cool.

Makes about 13 jumbo cupcakes or 24 regular sized cupcakes.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Yes! I'm so excited for this recipe. My dad and I each had one of your cupcakes that I brought home from the shower Sunday night after dinner. Omg ~ my dad LOVED it! He said they were excellent and that is high praise coming from a chocolate conniseur! I'm so excited to make these!!! Thanks Lo. ;)